Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Home Made Owl Costume



I am absolutely thrilled with how this costume came out! It was my very first attempt with a sewing machine. My hubs had to show me how to thread a needle (He claims to have learned this in home ec. lol)! I went with Felt because it was inexpensive and I knew I may have a few failed attempts before a success. It turned out this was not the case! This was very simple and easy to execute. I purchased a simple brown hoodie at Target in Brytons size. I knew I would want to sew the eyes and beak on just like all of those cute little Etsy owl caps. I wanted to give it that crafty flair by using buttons as the pupils. The tummy is just circle cut outs layered as feathers. I staggered the colors in a lighter shade to give it a realistic look. I sewed the cape into the shoulder blade area all the way out to the arm so that Bryton wouldn't be bothered with it as he trick or treats. The colors I chose were purposeful to give him a Barn owl look but you can get creative here. You can make it look as realistic or as cartoonish as you wish.

The Owls ears are just simple pom poms made of strips of felt that I had cut out. I think the costume really came together when I added these. I used string wrapped tight around the center of the strips. I flaired them out in a pom and then sewed them down to the hoodie.

PB sells a Owl costume and the sticker price is shocking. Total, I paid around 15 for everything I used. This could probably be done with spending even less. Another idea is to use patterned fabric for the feathers. It is really up to you. I would absolutely love it if you shared my idea but please make sure to link back. Also if you do make the costume, I would love to see it! So please share your creations here with me!

4 comments:

  1. OKAY!! You have inspired me. I want to make this for Ruby for Halloween. I am SO not crafty, but I think I would enjoy it if I made time for it. Besides, it sounds like it can be a money saver. This looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Ruby would make an adorable Owl! This can be really cost effective. Especially if you use fabrics you have already. Like Old sheets, curtains or even pieces of clothing that no longer fit. I would love to see what you come up with:o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! How did u make the cape?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sara :o)
    The cape is a large piece of felt sewn into the shoulder blades of the hoodie. I just layered felt pieces onto the cape in the shape of feathers. You can use any fabric but felt was nice and stiff so the feathers would be visible.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for posting! All posts with well intentioned constructive feedback are welcome :o)